Total Expert is able to import contacts to your account from a spreadsheet. To import contacts from a spreadsheet to your account, please follow the instructions below.
1. Use the valid column headers below to organize the sheet for import using a program like Microsoft Excel.
You can download a template (bottom of this article) with all valid column headers entered. If you do so, you can paste the contact information you wish to import into the template. Then, you can contact us as outlined in step 4 in order to have the data imported.
2. Save your import sheet as a .CSV file, NOT a .xlsx file. A .xlsx file can be saved as a .CSV using Microsoft Excel or a similar program.
3. Double check the integrity of your data. Total Expert is not responsible for any formatting errors within your CSV -- We will import as many of the contacts as we can. It is important to double check your file for any formatting errors or any data fields that may be entered incorrectly.
4. Send us the sheet to import by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the chat widget in the lower-right while logged in. (Note: Your organization might have an alternate place to send contact imports, such as an internal marketing team). We strive to process contact import requests within 1 business day of receiving them, when possible.
In order to ensure this process goes as smoothly as possible, please use the following instructions when submitting your CSV:
Data Requirements - If the provided import sheet does not meet the requirements listed below, we reserve the right to deny the import and ask you to update your spreadsheet to match our requirements.
- The file MUST be a .CSV file. If your file is a .xlsx or .xls file, you can "Save As" in Microsoft Excel (or a similar program) and you can change the file type to a .CSV
- Each column MUST have a header that clearly indicates what type of data is in the column. For example, use "Cell Phone" or "Home Phone" instead of "Phone." You do not need to match the column headers below exactly, but it should be clear which column would belong to each header that is listed below.
- The name of each contact MUST be separated into "first name" and "last name" columns. If the contact has a middle name or initial, it can be added to either the first name or the last name column.
For a contact to be imported, it MUST have at least a name and an email address, phone number, or full address. If a contact does not have any of these, it will be skipped while importing.
In order for your contacts to be grouped within your Total Expert account, you MUST have a "group" column on the import sheet that indicates the name of the group you want each contact imported to. If you want a contact to be imported to multiple groups, it can be denoted by entering multiple groups into the "group" column and separating them with a comma (no spaces). Ex: Realtor,Seller's Agent,Friend will put a contact into the three groups indicated.
You DO NOT need to use every column outlined below. If you do not have data for a column (such as "birthday"), you do not need to fill out the column or include it on the import sheet.
Information about duplicate contacts:
- Contacts that do not exist in your database already will be imported as a new contact. Unless a creation date is specified on the import sheet, it will set a creation date of the current day.
- Contacts that do exist in your database that are on the import sheet will not be duplicated, if the contact on the sheet can be matched to a contact in your CRM. The importer will check the contact's first name, last name, email, phone numbers, and address. If the name is an EXACT MATCH and at least one piece of contact info is an EXACT MATCH (email address, phone number, or address for a contact is the same in your CRM and on the import sheet), no duplicate will be imported.
- Contacts that do exist in your database will have information imported to them that exists on the import sheet, but not in your CRM. For example, if you have a contact that has a first name, last name, and email already in your CRM and you send us an import that contains that contact with a first name, last name, email, and cell phone number: the cell phone number will be added to the existing contact, provided that the name and email address EXACTLY MATCH the contact in your CRM.
Total Expert Contact Fields (Column Headings)
URL - LinkedIn Profile
URL - Personal Website
URL - Other
Employer Address 2
Employer License Number
Spouse First Name
Spouse Last Name
Spouse Email Work
Spouse Home Phone
Spouse Cell Phone
Spouse Office Phone
Spouse Address 2
Last Contacted Date
Last Modified Date
Credit Score Date
Credit Score Expiration Date
Pre-Approval Issued Date
Ok To Email
Ok To Call
Ok to Mail
Ok to Call - Spouse
Ok to Mail - Spouse